Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bearing Through Bear Creek


As the title would suggest, this hike is very difficult.  You basically start somewhere near the Big Bear Lake Dam and hike straight down into the valley that houses Bear Creek.  As you can see in the photo on the right, the valley is extremely deep.  I would rate this hike as strenous because of the steep entry into the canyon, but more so because of the terrain around the creek bed.  There are only faint trails as you move downstream.  There is tons of boulders, thick brush (including stinging nettles), and lots of fallen trees to navigate past. 

Looking back, I think we should have explored upstream because the going was so tough downstream that it was tirelessly demoralizing.  This was probably mile for mile, the toughest hike I've ever been on, and I consider myself to be in great shape (minus the beer). 


As far as the fishing, we did see a lot of trout in the stream and as I expected, they were easily spooked because they are native brown trout.  This is a rare area in SoCal, because you are able to access a remote area that still has native trout.  I know this is a popular area with flyfishermen, but there was very limited access to throw a fly.  Many overhanging trees lined the creek, as well as tall brush.  I was hard to sneak up on the fish because of all obstacles.  Again this was downstream of the where the trail hits the creek, so upstream could have been different, but it appeared to be more of the same.  There were some excellent pools and trout holding in less that 1 foot of water.  The largest trout I saw was in the 12 inch range, with many in the 8-10 inch range.  REMEMBER TO CATCH AND RELEASE!


It is obvious why nobody fishes here: difficult terrain, crazy hike in, overgrown brush, quasi sketchy dirt road on the way in, and quad busting hike out.  The overall distance of the trail is only 1 mile, but you gain/lose a whopping 1100 feet in that mile.

The bugs were the worst I have ever experienced in the So Cal Mtns.  I swear that the same 6 flies were following me the entire way up the trail.  I must have squashed 35 bugs on my body, and that is a conservative estimate.  I did not notice too many mosquitoes, but the constant buzzing near my ears was enough to drive a man insane.

There were many flowers in bloom near the creek, with the yellow one above (of which I don't know the name) as well as some sort of iris (I believe it's called mountain Iris).

Before returning, there are lots of negatives to consider about this hike, but I think with a little more knowledge about the place, the reward could easily outweigh the risk.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pleas feel free to leave me your comments